skip to main content

Samoset Middle School

Questions & Answers

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ’S)

How do I make an appointment with my guidance counselor?

  • Guidance Pass Request forms are available in the Guidance & Counseling Center. Students should stop by the office between classes to fill out a request form. Guidance Counselors will then make an appointment to meet with students as soon as possible. You will receive your pass back in homeroom indicating the date and time/period of your appointment.

What would I make an appointment with my Guidance Counselor?

  • Students can make an appointment to see their guidance counselor for many different reasons. Reasons may include problems or difficulties with other students, teachers or families, questions about school related activities (peer tutoring, sports, clubs, etc.), or any other concerns that they would like to discuss with somebody.

Where do I get my working papers?

  • Working papers are available to students the day after they turn 14 years old. Students may pick up the application in the Guidance & Counseling Center. Section 1 must be completed by the student’s parent/guardian. The student must then have the School Nurse complete the medical section of the application. When all sections are complete, the working papers should be returned to the guidance secretary. A working card will then be issued to the student. Please keep in mind that working cards can take up to two days to be completed.

What is a weekly progress report?

  • Weekly Progress Reports are available for students to pick up in the Guidance & Counseling Center every Friday before homeroom. Weekly Progress Reports are the student’s responsibility. Students should bring the Weekly Progress Report to each teacher during the day. Teachers will comment on areas such as the student’s classroom behavior, homework compliance, attendance and quiz/test grades. Like the Daily Homework Sheet, the Weekly Progress Report works more effectively when used consistently and with a reward and consequence system set up by the parent/guardian. **These forms are also available online.

When are progress reports and report cards sent home?

*The 2017-18 Progress Report Schedule is as follows:

  • 1 st Quarter – October 13th
  • 2 nd Quarter – December 22nd
  • 3 rd Quarter – March 9th
  • 4 th Quarter – May 18th

*The last day of each Marking Period is as follows:

  • 1 st Quarter – November 13th
  • 2 nd Quarter – January 26th
  • 3 rd Quarter – March 29th
  • 4 th Quarter – June 14th

*Report Cards will be posted to parent portal on the following days after 3pm:

  • 1 st Quarter – November 17th
  • 2 nd Quarter – February 2nd
  • 3 rd Quarter – April 13th
  • 4 th Quarter – June 22th

How do I get one of my classes changed?

The question that Guidance Counselors are asked most often by students and parents/guardians pertains to schedule changes. General guidelines for schedule changes are as follows:
  • Level changes require recommendation/approval of the teacher, counselor, department chairperson and principal.
  • To add Band, Chorus or Orchestra to a schedule, students need permission of the respective teacher and/or an audition.
  • To drop Band, Chorus or Orchestra from a schedule, students are required to submit a letter of permission from their parent/guardian.  (It is also suggested that students discuss this choice to drop a performing music class with their respective teacher.)
  • Lunch Period changes cannot be accommodated unless there is a medical reason for such a change. Lunch period changes are only changed with a note from a medical doctor, which indicates a medical diagnosis (example – diabetes).
  • Teacher changes require the approval of the School Principal. Except in cases of mitigating circumstances, these requests are generally not approved.