Welcome to Sagamore Middle School Library
"A Library is not a luxury, but one of the necessities of life." - Henry Ward Beecher
"The answers are all on the Internet. What's not on the Internet are the questions." - Unknown
"If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book." ― J.K. Rowling
Some Reading Statistics
- Out-of-school reading habits of students has shown that even 15 minutes a day of independent reading can expose students to more than a million words of text in a year.
- A student who reads 20 minutes each day will have read 1,800,000 words - the same as 3600 minutes in a school year.
- A student who reads only 1 minute each day will only have read 8,000 words - the same as 180 minutes in a school year.
- There are almost half a million words in our English Language - the largest language on earth, incidentally - but a third of all our writing is made up of only twenty-two words.
- The U.S. Department of Education found that, generally, the more students read for fun on their own time, the higher their reading scores.
- The more types of reading materials there are in the home, the higher students are in reading proficiency, according to the Educational Testing Service.
- The longest sentence ever printed consists of 823 words.
Did you KNOW that there is FREE Homework Help available online through Sachem Public Library??
Every day from 2 PM to 11 PM
All you need is your Sachem Public Library card.
Click the links below for further information.
Ayuda con las tareas
If you are staying for 9th period after school to do work, please sign up during the day BEFORE 8th period. Simply drop by and sign your name in the RED book on the counter. You must have your parent's permission to stay after school.
9th period is a great opportunity to catch up on missed work, use the computers for projects, sign out and read books and magazines, and do your homework, plus Mrs. Bucher is available to help! See the Library Calendar on the Library website for those days that 9th period will be closed. Cell phones are not permitted.
Access your Google Drive account by clicking here, and logging in with the reminder information: Don't forget to Sign Out of your account when you are finished working!
Google Drive Login
Username: first initial last name @sachem.edu
If you have a number after your name, don't forget that!
Password: Capital Sach. last four numbers of your lunch number
Don't forget the period after Sach.
Our library is the center of the school- a true information commons-where
students and teachers come to check out new books, library research
materials, utilize our electronic resources, and collaborate.
Teachers may reserve the library and library media specialist for class research
projects, Web 2.0 projects, interactive media projects and video conferencing.
The Board of Regents, the New York State Education Department, and the
New York State Library distinguish the Sagamore Middle School Library Media
Center as an Electronic Doorway Library.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact Mrs. Bucher at email@example.com