Welcome to Sagamore Middle School Library
"A Library is not a luxury, but one of the necessities of life." - Henry Ward Beecher
"The answers are all on the Internet. What's not on the Internet are the questions." - Unknown
"If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book." ― J.K. Rowling
The Library opens on Wednesday, September 12th.
9th period in the Library will begin on September 12th. Please remember to sign up on a daily basis in the Library BEFORE 8th period.
The notes for your mandatory reading assignment going into 6th, 7th, and 8th grades will be due in ELA class by Friday, September 7th.
You will use those notes to write an essay in your ELA class based on the book you read over the summer. New to Sagamore? Check with your ELA teacher and then with Mrs. Bucher in the Library.
Sagamore Summer Reading Contest booklets may be handed into Mrs. Bucher in the Library OR to your ELA teacher.
Everyone who participates will be invited to a luncheon in the Library with a surprise author. The top three readers will receive a prize. Our top prize is an Amazon mini Kindle.
Some Reading Statistics
- Out-of-school reading habits of students has shown that even 15 minutes a day of independent reading can expose students to more than a million words of text in a year.
- A student who reads 20 minutes each day will have read 1,800,000 words - the same as 3600 minutes in a school year.
- A student who reads only 1 minute each day will only have read 8,000 words - the same as 180 minutes in a school year.
- There are almost half a million words in our English Language - the largest language on earth, incidentally - but a third of all our writing is made up of only twenty-two words.
- The U.S. Department of Education found that, generally, the more students read for fun on their own time, the higher their reading scores.
- The more types of reading materials there are in the home, the higher students are in reading proficiency, according to the Educational Testing Service.
- The longest sentence ever printed consists of 823 words.
Our library is the center of the school- a true information commons-where
students and teachers come to check out new books, library research
materials, utilize our electronic resources, and collaborate.
Teachers may reserve the library and library media specialist for class research
projects, Web 2.0 projects, interactive media projects and video conferencing.
The Board of Regents, the New York State Education Department, and the
New York State Library distinguish the Sagamore Middle School Library Media
Center as an Electronic Doorway Library.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact Mrs. Bucher at email@example.com