Welcome to Sagamore Middle School Library
"A Library is not a luxury, but one of the necessities of life." - Henry Ward Beecher
"The answers are all on the Internet. What's not on the Internet are the questions." - Unknown
"If you don’t like to read, you haven’t found the right book." ― J.K. Rowling
Some Reading Statistics
- Out-of-school reading habits of students has shown that even 15 minutes a day of independent reading can expose students to more than a million words of text in a year.
- A student who reads 20 minutes each day will have read 1,800,000 words - the same as 3600 minutes in a school year.
- A student who reads only 1 minute each day will only have read 8,000 words - the same as 180 minutes in a school year.
- There are almost half a million words in our English Language - the largest language on earth, incidentally - but a third of all our writing is made up of only twenty-two words.
- The U.S. Department of Education found that, generally, the more students read for fun on their own time, the higher their reading scores.
- The more types of reading materials there are in the home, the higher students are in reading proficiency, according to the Educational Testing Service.
- The longest sentence ever printed consists of 823 words.
Our library is the center of the school- a true information commons-where
students and teachers come to check out new books, library research
materials, utilize our electronic resources, and collaborate.
Teachers may reserve the library and library media specialist for class research
projects, Web 2.0 projects, interactive media projects and video conferencing.
The Board of Regents, the New York State Education Department, and the
New York State Library distinguish the Sagamore Middle School Library Media
Center as an Electronic Doorway Library.
If you have any problems or questions, please contact Mrs. Bucher at email@example.com